Monday, February 27, 2006

A Relaxing Vacation!

Well, I'm just wrapping up a little vacation....it was actually just a week long, however with some creative bidding I was able to turn my one week of vacation into 16 days off! What did I do during all those days off you ask....not much.

Erin and I were supposed to make a weekend trip to Big Sky, MT for a little skiing and some fun with our friends that live out there. Well, with Northwest reducing the amount of flights, the flights that they still have are pretty full and when you fly as a stand-by, you usually stand there waving....bye bye! Anyway, all the flights to most every city in Montana were full, and with forecast temperatures below zero, we decided not to go to Montana and made a road-trip to Erin's parent’s house in beautiful Bridgman, MI.

We started out our drive on Thursday after Erin got home from work. About 2 hours into the drive we got into a terrible snow storm. Traffic had slowed down to about 35 MPH....it was going to be a long drive to Michigan at this pace. After seeing over 10 semi-trucks in the ditch, we elected to stop in a town called Wisconsin Dells (about 50 miles north of Madison, WI). It's basically a town that revolves around a water park. I know, you're probably thinking, "What a great place to stop in the middle of a snow storm." Actually, all the major resorts in the town have water parks in the hotel. We stopped at a place called the Great Wolf Lodge, I asked them if they had any rooms in the inn? The girl at the front desk didn't seem too amused with my feeble attempt to be humorous. There were (rooms in the inn) and we decided to stay there for the night.

After a trip to the local Wal-Mart to buy Erin a new $8 disposable swimsuit, we were headed to the water park! We enjoyed watching all the kids running around, and we soon discovered the Great Wolf Lodge's greatest water ride, called The Howlin’ Tornado. It’s a water ride that slides you six-stories straight down (or at least what felt like straight down) through a tube into this huge half-pipe type of thing (the Tornado), you go almost straight up the other side and then come screaming down and back up the other side. After going back and forth a few times you fall out into a pool where everyone is laughing at how much you scream like a little girl.

After a restful night we woke up to a beautiful day and continued our drive home. We spent the rest of the weekend enjoying time with Erin’s parents and sister. On Sunday night we made a much more uneventful drive home. After arriving home late, I got unpacked and re-packed for a trip to Sand Diego, CA the next morning.

The next day, I arrived in San Diego around noon where I met up with three other friends (all airline pilots too). We had lunch at a hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant. After the guy with tattoos all over his face asked us what we wanted to eat, I was a little out of place in my khaki pants and polo shirt. We spent the afternoon walking around San Diego and the evening having dinner in Little Italy.



The next day we went to the USS Midway which is a Vietnam era aircraft carrier. We spent about 5 hours finding our way though the ship, we got to talk to veterans who served on the ship, and learned about how this huge ship was run during a war. I climbed into one of the ships many bunks for the soldiers, let’s just say I found a few good reasons I didn’t join the Navy. We spent the evening at a piano bar making fools of ourselves….well, at least I was.

The next morning we all headed back home. The last few days I’m spending relaxing from all the fun I’ve had! Tomorrow it’s back to work, of course, I’m sure I’ll be able to find some time next month to enjoy my days off.

No comments: