Friday, January 12, 2007

Published! Sort of???

I've often said that I would like to someday write for an aviation magazine on a regular basis (like monthly) but don't really know how to get into it. What would I write about?? Well, I haven't figured that out yet but I do like to write, and I especially like to write about aviation. In December I was finally published in a real aviation magazine.....kind of.

I subscribe to a magazine called "Professional Pilot". It's mostly related to corporate aviation and the issues that corporate pilots deal with but there's usually always an article about weather, a quiz on an approach plate (an approach plate is kind of like a map), and various other articles that all pilots can learn from. There is a section called Av Hazard where people can write in regarding "hazards" they've found while flying around. These can be anything from an air traffic controller reading back clearances so quickly that you can't understand, problems with airport lighting, etc.

I wrote in a few months ago because whenever I flew from Minneapolis, MN to Moline, IL it was always hard to listen to the Automatic Terminal Information Service (ATIS) frequency in Moline. Basically ATIS is the frequency we listen to when we want to hear the current weather at an airport. The reason it's hard to hear is because Minneapolis air traffic control uses the same frequency. When you're up high and half-way in-between the two airports, the frequencies are always "blocked" by one another which means having to listen to the ATIS frequency a lot longer than normal, when you could be doing something else more important.

I didn't really think that they would publish something like that but they did! It's in the December version of Professional Pilot! Now, my name isn't attached to it, but I'm proud to say that I'm one step closer to having my own column in an aviation magazine.....one, very small step!

Click here to see how it looks in the magazine. Scroll about half-way down to where it says "Frequency Overlap" and you can read what I wrote.

No comments: