Tuesday, March 27, 2007

English! Do you speak it?!

The other day I picked up my wife to go have lunch at a restaurant called Fudruckers. They are known for having great burgers and shakes! It's kind of a combination fast food and sit down restaurant. You order your food at the counter, get your own drinks, but they give you one of those light up buzzers for when your food is ready.

After we ordered, we got our drinks and headed outside to sit on the patio. We were sitting and talking when our buzzer went off indicating our food was ready. I was going to go inside to get the food so I told Erin, "I'll get your burger if you stay here and watch our drinks." She said she wanted to come inside because she wanted to put condiments on her burger and apparently I can't do that. I said, "Well, I don't want to loose our table or our drinks." She said, "Nobody is going to take our drinks." I looked around at the other tables that had been sitting there with empty cups and baskets for several minutes and decided that it would probably be okay. We left our drinks on the table and both went inside to get our food.

After we picked up our burgers we we're walking back outside when I saw a young worker taking our drinks from our table and putting them in the bus boy tray thing. I wasn't upset or anything but I went up to ask him if I could get some more cups because he had taken ours. He was a young Hispanic man, maybe 19-20 years old and didn't speak English very well.

Our conversation went something like this:

Me: "Execuse me sir, we were sitting at that table over there and I think you took our drinks."

Him: "No."

Me: "Ummm, well, we went inside to get our food and left our drinks there, I was just wondering if we could get some new cups."

Him: "No."

Me: "We can't get new cups."

Him: "No."

Me: "Why not, we were sitting there and you took our drinks."

Him: "No."

Me: "But you took our drinks."

Him: "No."

Me: "Yeah, you did, I just want to get some new cups."

Him: "No."

Me: "Okay, I'm going to go inside and ask somebody else."

Him: "No."

At this point, I just walked inside because I don't think he spoke anything but Spanish and obviously our conversation wasn't getting anywhere. He looked at me kind of funny when I walked past him and went inside to the front counter. I didn't want him to get in trouble because it really wasn't a big deal, I just wanted to have something to drink with my meal.

I told the person working at the front counter, "We were sitting outside and came inside to get our food and the guy..." Before I even finished what I was going to say he turned around and got me two cups. It seemed as if he's seen this problem before. Once we got back outside with our food and our new drinks, the bus boy kept looking at us trying to figure out how we got past his sneaky plan of depriving us of drinks.

I guess it bothered me a little bit that this kid working at the restaurant didn't speak any English. I think if you live in this country, you need to speak at least basic english and "No" doesn't count.

After we finished our lunch, we got up to leave and he asked if he was getting a tip.

Me: "No."

No comments: