Thursday, March 22, 2007

My trip to the Big Apple!

Today I decided to make a trip into the big city! Ever since I've been based in Newark, I've been wanting to make a trip over to New York City but have never found the time. Today was my last day of reserve (for the week) and the odds of me being used for a trip were slim, so I went on my own little adventure.

First I had to make a 25 minute walk through Newark to get to Newark Penn Station. It wasn't quite as bad as I thought it was going to be. Once I noticed 8 year old girls running around by themselves, I figured I would be okay. I found Penn Station and figured out how to buy a day pass and what train to take. Once I got on the train it was a 25 minute ride into New York City.

The train I took stops at the World Trade Center so I decided to get off there. I've always wanted to see where the two towers once stood. What I saw when I got to the WTC Station was not quite what I was expecting. What I was expecting was a big hole and a bunch of memorial spots to overlook the site. What I SAW was what looked like any other construction site. I was a little disappointed at how little they had honoring the people that were lost on 9/11. They did have some photos of firefighters and police officers but for the most part, it was very minimal. After I walked around the WTC I found Broadway Ave and walked down to the south side of the island.

I thought about going to the Statue of Liberty but by the time I got there, they had sold out for the rest of the day. I stood and watched some street performers for a few minutes and then walked north up Broadway Ave. At one point, a girl came up to me and asked how to get the Canal St Subway. Being a kid from a small town and living in a city where there is basically no train system, I honestly thought she was talking about Subway the restaurant. I almost said to her, "I just saw a Subway around the corner, but I don't think it's the Canal St Subway. It looks like there's a Quiznos up the street." I'm glad I stuck with, "Uhhhhhh, I'm not from here."

I was trying to keep my mind open to eating at a restaurant that I had never been to before but in my two hours of walking up and down Broadway, I couldn't find anything that appealed to me.....except TGI Fridays. So yes, I'll admit, I made a trip to the Big Apple and had dinner at Fridays. I think I was trying to stick to something I knew.

I had big goals of walking to Times Square and Central Park but the sun was going down and I was a little worried about walking back to my crash pad at night. I made my way back to the WTC train station and rode back to Newark Penn Station. Next time I head to New York City, I think I'll buy a subway pass so I don't have to walk three hours just to see a park or building. Maybe I'll take a subway......to a Subway!

No comments: