Saturday, June 23, 2007

"Breaking News"......well, almost.

The other day in my hotel room I woke up and turned on the news. The "Breaking News" of the day was a helicopter shot of Paris Hilton's house. The banner on the bottom of the screen said something to the affect of "Judge sends Paris Hilton back to jail for 45 days." I think this was the second, or was it the third time, that she'd be sentenced to 45 days in jail. First, her 45 day sentence was reduced to something like 23 days. Then she got released after 2-3 days because she had some sort of rash that apparently no prison doctor has ever seen and didn't have the know how to deal with.

Then there was Anna Nicole Smith who apparently died while legally taking nine different prescription drugs. I can't tell you how saddened I was by her death, it was really hard to get up in the morning knowing that I wasn't going to see her smiley face on the television saying something like "TrimSpa baby!" Now there's a catchy slogan. Little did I know that I was going to hear about who the father of her kid was and where she should be buried for the next month and a half.

My big question is, who really cares how long Paris Hilton is going to be in jail or where Anna Nicole Smith was going to be buried? Whatever happened to real news like a firefighter jumping out of a window as the house blew up while trying to save the lives of little children inside. Or a dramatic rescue by the US Coast Guard swooping in and lifting someone off the roof of their house as it begins to flood.

Maybe a story about what the firefighters and police officers from New York City are doing now, six years after 9/11. My guess is they are still out there saving people everyday, just not quite as dramatically as they did back in 2001. I guess until then I'll sit by my television waiting to see who the next celebrity is that goes to the clink.

No comments: