Friday, August 24, 2007

My Radio Debut

Yesterday I made a trip to the Minnesota State Fair. My main goal was to sit and watch my favorite radio show, Garage Logic. It's an AM talk show and everybody who listens is a citizen of Garage Logic where everything that needs to discussed can be discussed in the garage. Garage Logic is the seat of Gumption County, down the road from Diversityville, but not as far as Liberal Lakes. It's a place where common sense prevails, the 2-car garage is revered and cigar smoking is allowed.

During their broadcast from the State Fair they bring in many different guests. Yesterday, one of the guests was a man named Scott Flansburg, also known as the "Human Calculator". To say this guy is quick at math is to say the Mississippi River is damp. His ability to do math problems is incredible. He is literally quicker than a calculator. You can even give him your birth date and he'll tell you in a matter of seconds what day of the week you were born on (which also gives him the nickname the "Human Calendar").

Towards the end of the segment they allowed a few audience members to ask questions, I was fortunate enough to ask the first question. To know that your voice is going out on 50,000 Watts of AM power is a little intimidating. Fortunately for myself, I had "played DJ" enough when I was a kid to not totally screw it up. If you'd like to listen to my radio debut, click here. Once you get it pulled up go to 33:57 and you'll be able to hear my question shortly thereafter. If you'd like to hear the whole segment with the Human Calculator, go to 15:10 and you can hear his incredible ability.

As much as I think being a DJ would be cool, after I heard myself on the radio, I realized that I shouldn't quit my day job.

No comments: