Friday, February 08, 2008

Drug Dealer

Last month I purchased two tickets for a concert this weekend. I purchased these tickets before I had my February schedule and to my dismay I couldn’t get the upcoming weekend off. After weeks of trying to rearrange my schedule, my efforts were futile, there was no way I was going to get this weekend off. I asked a few friends if they were interested but they all had other plans for the weekend. I finally decided to post my tickets for sale on one of those on-line classified ads.

I received an e-mail from a gentleman this afternoon, it was very simple and it read something like this; “I’ll take those tix if you still have them. I can meet you today.” He left his phone number so I called him. While I was listening to him talk, I could tell that he wasn’t going to be running for political office anytime soon. There were a lot of phrases like, “Yeah man” and “I’m rolling with my lady right now”.

He agreed that he would buy the tickets. I asked him where we could meet, and he suggested a gas station at a location that was familiar to both of us. I asked him what kind of car he had and told him what I would be driving. We agreed to meet in 20 minutes, he ended the conversation with “See ya in 20.”

I grabbed the tickets and as I headed out the door, I realized that 20 minutes was a little optimistic for me to meet him there so my driving was, let’s say, enthusiastic. I pulled into the gas station and saw him parked in a back corner of the parking lot, he flashed his lights so I pulled up to his truck. He got out with a wad of money in his hand. It was at this point that I started to feel like a drug dealer. Here I was racing across town with the “stuff” just so this guy could get a “fix”.

We talked a little bit about the band and instead of sealing the “deal” with a handshake, we ended with one of those things cool people do with their fists, where they make a fist and bump them together. I don’t know when that became the thing to do, but apparently it’s what all the cool kids are doing. I don’t know if it would be a good way to end an interview with upper level management but, apparently it’s appropriate when selling concert tickets to a guy at a gas station.

So, next time you need a quick “fix”, feel free to call me, I might have the right “stuff”.

No comments: