Friday, June 13, 2008

A Really Bad Day!



Earlier this week I read of a Sudanese Airbus 310 that crashed in Khartoum, Sudan. It was carrying 214 people including 11 crew members. Unfortunately a couple dozen people were killed. Apparently it veered off the runway during a thunderstorm and burst into flames. Do you think as the plane was skidding off the runway the Captain said something like "whoops-a-daisy"?

What I thought was entertaining about the article was the following paragraph:


"The Civil Aviation Authority confirmed that 103 passengers and all 11 crew members survived. But it said some other passengers may have gone home directly from the crash on the rain-soaked runway after crew members helped them through the emergency doors."

Ummmmm, what? Some of the passengers may have gone home directly from the crash? Do you think they just stood up, brushed themselves off and said, "Well, this is close enough, I think I'll walk from here. Does anyone know where I can pick up my bag? No? That's okay, I'll just stop by tomorrow and see if they find it." I picture someone like Bruce Willis walking toward the camera as the airplane blows up behind him saying something like, "I've had a really bad day."

There is a joke in the aviation world that any landing you walk away from is a good one. I don't think you're supposed to walk away from a crash. I mean, if you can literally walk away, that's good, but just a word to the wise, don't leave the scene of an accident. I'm pretty sure someone will want to make sure you're okay.

Good luck.

No comments: