Saturday, September 13, 2008

Words are coming out of my mouth. PANIC!

Radio stations usually have a seven second delay when they're broadcasting live on the air. That way if someone says something inappropriate they can hit the "panic button" which dumps the audio and prevents any bad words from going out on the air. Sometimes I wish I had a "panic button" for the times I say stupid things.

For example;

Me: "When is your baby due?"
Obviously overweight lady: "What baby?"

Sometimes words just come out of my mouth and they're not attached to any part of my brain or thoughts. A few months ago I was talking to a lady. She was complaining about how she was getting old. In an effort to try and make her feel younger, I thought I would use the phrase "Women are like a fine wine, they just get better with age", except I was going to use it in reverse. That was a bad idea. Don't ever take a phrase that has been proven to work time after time and try to change it. What I was trying to get across was that she was young and that phrase wouldn't apply to her. That's what I meant, what I said was, "You're like a cheap wine." That didn't go over very well.

In times like that, maybe I should think of the phrase, "Silence is golden."

No comments: