Monday, December 15, 2008

All I Want for Christmas is to Leave a Message!

I called a friend of mine the other day, he wasn't available so my call ended up going to his voicemail. The voicemail designed by the cell phone company. Is it me or are the options you have when leaving a message becoming longer and longer? I think it's a conspiracy set up by the cell phone company to suck another minute from your plan. My call went something like this:

"Ring, ring, ring, ring. Click. 'Hi this is Bob, leave a message and I'll call ya back.'" (Lovely female computer voice) "To leave a message please stay on the line. To send a numeric page, please press two. To send a text, please press three. To send a picture of your new puppy, please press six." Ummm, what happened to four and five? What are those numbers used for?

My friend Gary's voicemail even gives me the option of sending a fax. Let me say that again, my friend's CELL PHONE asks if you want to send a FAX...to his cell phone! Cell phones are those small devices that people put in their pocket, right? Fax machines are those huge contraptions that sit on a desk and make all sorts of racket when someone sends a piece of paper, right? I know cell phones are advancing with leaps and bounds (I'm even writing this blog from my phone) but I have yet to see a cell phone spit out an 8 1/2 x 11" piece of paper. By the way, who sends faxes anymore?

Maybe the long voicemail's are the reason people have been sending text messages more often than calling someone. They don't have time to listen to all the options. Remember when answering machines used tapes to record the outgoing and incoming messages? Ahh, the good ol' days. I still remember when my family got our first answering machine, I thought we were living the high life. It's amazing how far we've come. Who knows what the next technological advancement will be. Maybe some sort of machine that allows you to record a television show without using VHS tapes. We can only hope.

Good luck.

No comments: