Monday, February 09, 2009

Faking It

Have you ever faked it? I'll have to admit, there have been times when I wished I could have faked it but didn't. I'm talking about speaking or performing in front of a crowd. There are a lot of artists that use pre-recorded tracks when they perform live, especially for a big event like the Super Bowl, or the presidential inauguration.

Apparently Jennifer Hudson and Faith Hill performed to pre-recorded tracks at the Super Bowl. I guess the National Anthem has been released on iTunes. You'd think they could have released it before the Super Bowl, since it had already been recorded. That probably would have ruined the surprise though, wouldn't it? At least Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band actually sang, but according to one report, the music was pre-recorded.

At the presidential inauguration, cellist Yo-Yo Ma played to pre-recorded music as well. I can understand that, it was below freezing that day, which isn't good for a stringed instrument. It could very easily go out of tune, and what kind of precedent would that set for the newest commander in chief? "Geez, he can't even pick a musician that can play competently, how's he going to run the country?"

Sometimes I wish I could use pre-recorded tracks when I talk. When I was about 12, I had to read a Bible verse in church. No big deal, unless you're "Smiling Paul". About half-way through the reading, I just started giggling. For no good reason at all, just uncontrollable giggling. I'm not sure anyone got anything out of that particular Bible verse. If I had pre-recorded what I was going to say, I'm sure it would have been flawless. Or, it could have gone like Milli-Vanilli's performance on MTV. They were using pre-recorded tracks with OTHER people's voices. Can you imagine if I had started "talking" with someone else's recorded voice? That would have been something to giggle about, a 12 year old kid talking in public, except he sounds like Berry White.

Obviously I would prefer if artists played live (especially when I pay big bucks to see them live). That being said, I can understand using pre-recorded music. They're on the road 4-5 nights a week, constantly playing the same music, fighting fatigue, sore throats, and cold weather that doesn't mix well with instruments.

I just wonder if I've ever been fooled by someone faking it?

No comments: