Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Do what your mommy says to avoid the swine flu!

I'm sure you have all heard by now, there's a "scary" disease spreading around called the swine flu. It's contracted by contact with pigs that are infected but is spreadable through humans. The symptoms of swine flu in people are similar to the symptoms of regular human seasonal influenza and include fever, lethargy, lack of appetite, and coughing. Some people with swine flu also have reported runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Wow, that is scary! I got the flu about one and a half years ago and these symptoms sound identical to what I had! I wonder if I had the swine flu before people were even aware of it. Maybe I should call the Center for Disease Control and let them know about my swine flu from over a year ago? Maybe I'm the one who spread it around? Over the last year and a half, I've flown to all the places it's popping up; New York, California, Kansas, Texas, Mexico - it's probably all my fault! I better call my counselor because I'm going to have some serious post-traumatic stress disorder over this!

Richard Besser, acting director of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, noted that although ordinary human flu accounts for 36,000 deaths every year, he was concerned by this strain. "I fully expect we will see deaths from this infection," Besser said at an Atlanta news conference.

"36,000 DEATHS FROM ORDINARY HUMAN FLU"!! Now, how many deaths have occurred from the swine flu in the United States so far - NONE! ZERO! ZILCH! NADA! Why are we so worried about a flu that hasn't killed anyone in the US when there's another flu floating around - the ordinary human flu - that kills 36,000 people a year!?

My favorite advice from the CDC on how to prevent the swine flu is this;

-Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. Immediately dispose of the tissue.

-Wash your hands frequently with soap and water to protect from germs, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective.

-Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth; this spreads the germs.

-Avoid close contact with sick persons and stay home if you are sick.

-Practice other good health habits, including getting plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food.


I remember when I was, ohhhhh, about five years old - my mom gave me the very same advice! I guess some people need the government to be their mommy. So boys and girls, do what your mommy says and maybe you won't get the swine flu.

Good luck.

1 comment:

Adam said...

oh, it gets better. In 1976 I think, there was a swine flu scare and the government voted (with only 2 no votes, from medical doctors) to vaccinate people after one person died from it. So, 40 million people got vaccinated, and 25 people died from the vaccine, but no one from the flu. I'd be more scared of the government.