Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Today I Got Beat Up By a Girl

It's been a while since I've worked out with a personal trainer. I guess the two main things that have been stopping me are (1) the cost, and (2) the embarrassment of passing out at the gym after lifting those little baby weights that they have in the child care area. My gym recently offered three free 1/2 hour workouts with a trainer - I figured it'd be a good time to get back and learn some new exercises, plus the price was right.

I signed up with a girl named Cassidy. Cassidy is one of those super humans that you see on television shows. She has lost over 130 pounds by - get this - eating well and exercise! No one can complain around her about how their face feels a little puffy or they just can't loose weight. She's been there, done that, and through lots of hard work is now one of the top personal trainers at the gym. She also teaches the cycling class that I take when the weather is bad. Since the weather has been so nice lately, I haven't been in her class for a while - I think our workout today was her way of getting back at me.

I showed up early to warm up on the elliptical machine. I figured that would show motivation and maybe she'd go easy on me - she didn't. We started out with some sort of lunge with one of those big balls against a wall with weights and lots of pushing and moaning and quivering legs. She said, "Wow, you're already sweating." Yeah, that's what I do when I workout for 25 seconds.

For some reason we had to run from exercise to exercise, next was burpee's with push-ups. For those of you who don't know what a burpee is - imagine standing, then squatting, then throwing your legs back into the push-up position, back to squatting, then jumping up to the standing position again. Oh, except we couldn't do just a normal burpee, we had to.....no, I had to do three or four push-ups while down in the push-up position during the burpee.

We continued through the rest of the exercises and got to one called "skull crushers". There's nothing more encouraging to a guy who hasn't lifted weights in a while to do an exercise in which, if you screw it up - you will crush your skull! While I was laying there, wondering how I got tricked into doing an exercise called "skull crushers" with a girl who clearly knows how to exercise, she said, "Don't forget to breathe." Oh gee, thanks, I almost forgot to breathe! Can you remind me to blink my eyes every once in a while too so they don't get scratchy!?

After we finished the first set of exercises, she reminded me to let her know if I was feeling lightheaded. "Okay," I said as my tunnel vision focused on the clock and I noticed that we had been working out for a whopping 13 minutes! Why is it that I can go ride my bike for two hours, yet 13 minutes of pushing weights around puts me into the flight mode of the "fight or flight" response to stressful situations.

We started out again doing the ball lunge with bicep curl and it wasn't too long after that I thought I might throw up, or pass out - or both, in which case I would probably drown in my own vomit. I told her I was feeling a little dizzy and she quickly lightened up on me, which is when I realized that I should have mentioned that much earlier. My brain must have been lacking oxygen during this period because at one point I thought I saw purple drops of sweat coming off me. I thought to myself, "It must have been that grape Gatorade I drank earlier."

We eventually worked our way through a modified version of the workout she originally had in mind and by the time we were done, I felt pretty good. It's always such a good feeling to have a good workout, get those endorphins going, and know that you're going to have that "good sore" the next day (or three).

Cassidy definitely gave me my money's worth and as long as I'm with a personal trainer, I'd rather have it be too hard than not hard enough - that's what she said!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would have liked to been able to be there to witness this!

-wife