Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Giving Thanks and Helping Others

The other day my brother said something I thought was great, he said, "I wish Christmas was more like Thanksgiving." When asked what he meant, he said that Christmas should be more about getting together with friends and family. I think he's right, there's no pressure to get anyone gifts on Thanksgiving, it's all about sitting down, enjoying a great meal and great conversation with people you love, and giving thanks for everything you're blessed with.

When is the last time you sat down with all your family and had a meal together? It seems that a lot of people start their day by rushing to the office with a cup of coffee and a power bar, and finish it with a trip through the drive-through. That's why I love Thanksgiving, it's the one day of the year we're forced to slow down and enjoy great food and time with family (or anyone else you feel comfortable slipping into a turkey coma in front of).

For some people, Thanksgiving is about tradition, but for me it seems that every Thanksgiving is different. Some years I'm at my mom and dads, and some years I'm stuck in a hotel. But whether it be you and your spouse or you and 20 cousins, the goal is the same - great food, great conversation, spending time with loved ones, and giving thanks for all we have!

It may have been a rough year for you; maybe you lost a loved one, maybe you are struggling to find a job, or maybe life's just not treating you the way it should. But you no doubt got through those rough times with loved ones by your side, that's something to be thankful for right there. Sometimes it may seem like you don't have much, but if you look around, there's probably someone less fortunate than you not too far away.

So, this Thanksgiving, be thankful for everything you have, and while you're giving thanks, don't forget those less fortunate. This year instead of ringing a bell outside a Target for 3 hours, I thought I'd start my own Red Kettle. There's a link on the right side of my blog to donate to the Salvation Army. There's no bell ringing here, just a chance to give back to those a little less fortunate this year.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: