Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hello, I'm a Mac.....

We've all seen the television commercials for Mac computers. A really hip looking guy wearing jeans and a t-shirt who looks like he got pulled out of a Gap commercial, talks to a nerdy middle aged man wearing a suit and tie, sporting Coke bottle glasses and a pocket protector. Every commercial starts out the same; "Hello, I'm a Mac...." says the cool guy, "....and I'm a PC," says the nerd. The commercials really appeal to the nerd who's trying to fit in with the cool crowd because anyone who's cool, already owns a Mac. That's exactly why I went out and bought a MacBook Pro the other day - a desperate urge to be cool.

Now don't get me wrong, I didn't buy a Mac just to fit in with the cool kids. I bought one because (1) they rarely become infected with virus', (2) they're simple to use, and (3) they just work. That's what you hear from most people who have Apple computers, "They just work." There is no re-booting, no more Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and they don't take 10 minutes to open Internet Explorer like my PC did. Another reason I bought one is so I could use the music and video editing programs to make movies like this one.

The main reason I wanted a Mac however was so I would have a computer to take on the road with me. I spend a lot of time hanging out in hotels and without a computer, I feel like there is a lot of wasted time that I could be using to work on other things - like my recent subscription to Facebook, chatting with my wife, and working on my book.

"Book! What book are you talking about?" I'll tell you. I'm working on a fictional love story with a little action mixed in. A lot of people ask me what it's about. It's a constant work in progress and changes every time I sit down to write it but if I could write a teaser for it right now, it would look like this;

"When airline pilot John Nash finds his marriage in trouble, he turns to ex-girlfriend and aspiring psychologist Joy Hill for advice. After a traumatic experience at work, he changes the way he thinks about life.....and love."


Now, I don't know how long it's going to take to write, or if it will ever get published but if it does - I expect all of you loyal blog readers to show up at my book signing. I'll be the cool guy wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

No comments: