Wednesday, August 03, 2011

On Writing

Wow. It's been over three months since I've blogged. Do people even read blogs anymore? Based on my fan mail, I'm guessing not. I can count on one hand how many blogs I read regularly, and that includes my own. I could tell you that I don't have time to write blogs because I have a kid now. She's a good excuse for a lot of things. This could be one of them.

I'd like to say I've had a case of writer's block but that's not entirely true. I have been writing, just not on my blog. If you follow me on Facebook, you know I write way too much on there. Of course, it's easy to write Facebook updates when you only have to think of one or two sentences.

I recently submitted a piece to Flying Magazine for publication. If they don't publish it, maybe I'll post it on here. As you can infer, it was about flying. I love flying, but I don't want my blog just to be about flying, because there's so much more to me than that. Plus, I can't imagine everyone wants to read about flying. I don't even want to read about flying all the time.

Some of you know I've been working on writing a novel. That's where I've been putting most of my writing efforts. When people ask what kind of book I'm writing, I usually say, "It's kind of like a Nicholas Sparks novel." Now, I'm not so arrogant to think that I have the ability to write like Nicholas Sparks, but I can try. Writing my book is frustrating. Some days, the words flow and I picture myself at book signings all over the country. Other days, I wonder why I'm bothering spending over a year on something that may not even be published. Regardless, I'm still perfecting my autograph...just in case.

So, if you've been patiently refreshing my blog in hopes of an update, here you go. I'll try to be faithful to my fans out there...all four of you...and write more often. But I'm also going to concentrate on bigger and better things, like finishing my novel, and teaching my kid how to be a kid.

5 comments:

bccarlso said...

So for those of us who don't know what a Nicholas Sparks novel is all about…

smilingpaul said...

Pick one and read it. My favorite is Three Weeks with My Brother, but that's not his typical book...more of an autobiography than anything.

Nicholas Barnard said...

Paul thank you for writing, even if it's only every three months.

Oh, and your kid already knows how to be a kid. It's her job to teach you how to be a kid. ;-)

smilingpaul said...

Nicholas~That's very true! I've never felt more like a kid than since she's come along.

Richard said...

Surely more than 4 fans. I think I must make 5....